I love having hair extensions. I’ve had them all, I swear. With that being said, my favorite MOST NATURAL looking hair extensions are the tape-ins I got done at Glow Studioshere in Ashburn, VA.
Below, I will be showing you my before, during, and after photos, as well as how they have held up the last 4 weeks. It’s very important to know how to take care of your extensions, so you’ll also find some tips and things I have learned along the way! Would love to hear your thoughts as well and if you have any questions please email me: email@example.com – I’m an open book!
I had the privilege to get my hair done by the one and only Kristen Shehadi. She is the owner of Glow Studios! Funny story, when I used to work in the corporate world, my boss and 2 co-workers all had been going to Kristen for years!!! Wish I would have listened earlier. haha!
Let’s jump right into getting tape in extensions.
I’ve been trying to grow my hair out and this is my current length:
I like my hair to be 20-24 inches long. It gives me the room to have long loose curls or tight curls. I love how tape-in extensions provide extra thickness for me as well. Even if my hair was longer I would still add a few pieces for the thickness. I know a lot of my friends do this. Plus it’s fun to play with!
Consultation: You will have a consultation with the stylist to determine the color, length and thickness you’d like. This appointment usually takes around 15-20 mins. Super quick and easy!
Install Time: Once the hair is ordered and delivered to Glow Studios you will set up your second appointment to install your extensions!! This is the FUN part. The time it takes will depend on how much hair you’re getting and if you need them layered and styled. This will be determined during your first appointment.
Do’s of Tape-In Hair Extensions:
1. Always brush your hair / hair extensions before washing. Shower or bathe. When you brush your hair before shampooing, you’re brushing out any knots or tangles you might have. You want to make sure you massage your hair when you shampoo, as well. Use your fingers as a brush in the shower.
2. Always hold the top of the hair extensions with your hand when brushing. Imagine that you have a pony tail in, holding it in place and then brushing. You don’t want to pull or tug on your hair, this will make them loose. The less stress you’re adding to them, the better they will be and the longer they will last! Remember, this is an investment.
3. Always use the shampoo and conditioner your stylist recommends. They know the ins and outs of which products won’t break up the tape holding in your hair. Their advice is key!! They will also tell you which products NOT to use.
4. Always use a heat-protectant spray before styling your hair. Remember to treat your hair extensions as if it’s YOUR hair. I always say, if I buy it, it’s mine. haha! So, every time you blow dry, straighten, or curl your hair, use a protectant spray. This will obviously make the hair last longer, which is what you want.
Dont’s of Tape-In Hair Extensions:
1. Don’t go the cheap route. Make sure you always let your hair stylist order the hair for you. It’s hair they have used before, it’s a company they trust, and they know you will be happy with the product when it’s finished. You want your hair extensions to last and look great—and you also want to make sure they don’t damage your natural hair. Well-made hair extensions applied by a professional are the way to ensure all of the above.
2.Don’t wash your hair everyday. Even if you don’t have extensions, you shouldn’t be washing your hair every day. It’s best to wash every 2-3 days. Dry shampoo will be your best friend and you will notice how the natural oils in your hair will do their job. The more you wash your hair, the more the tape will start to loosen up and move down.
3.After getting your extensions installed, wait at least 24 hours until you wash your hair. They may be tight at first but within 2-3 days they will loosen up to where you don’t even feel them. At least for me, I don’t feel mine at all. They are super light and feel natural! Do NOT use conditioner on your scalp, this will break up the tape extensions. Only use conditioner on the ends of your hair.
This is my hair after:
Isn’t that crazy?! I was SO excited when I was finished. These extensions are perfect for a quick turn around, if you have an event coming up, wedding, etc. They look and feel VERY natural. If you’re looking for a thicker look, they also do Mermaid extensions which I will also be trying out in the next few weeks after using my tape-ins for a little longer.
Kristen layered my extensions to blend in perfectly with my hair. I am SO picky with who I trust with my hair cause I’ve had and seen horror stories. It’s huge for me to say I trust Kristen with any service she provides. I left for NYFW a few days after this and no one believed that I had extensions, thats how well these blend in and sit flat with your head.
Why I love Glow Studios and why you should check them out:
It’s also very important to have a stylist truly listen and understand what you’re trying to achieve in the service you’re asking for them to provide. I wanted a natural look for my extensions and thats exactly what she gave me. I’ve had them now for exactly one month and in the next week or two I will go back to get them moved up and then discuss the mermaid hair.
I’m also really excited to find a salon that is more than your average salon. Glow Studios is truly about the experience and being your one stop shop for what you need. You can get your hair needs taken care of, get a facial, a massage and MORE. There are even more exciting services that will be added soon and I can’t wait to share those with you as well. Make sure you keep your eyes open on their social media accounts and mine as well. Glow Studios Instagram account: @glowstudios
It’s ALSO about the experience they give you and it’s not your normal salon. I’ve been to a lot of places where you just feel like a customer and that’s it, no personal touch or friendship. As soon as I walked in, I was greeted with a smile and a “We will be right with you” — my biggest thing going anywhere is how they treat you. Whether there isn’t anyone in the place or you’re slammed, just a simple hello to acknowledge that I’m there is huge to me. I loved how everyone was friendly and wanted to chat. It’s somewhere you feel welcomed and more than just a customer.
Beyond the normal day to day services they also provide an amazing day for children with special needs. This hits close to home in my heart and I was blown away by this. Sensory Sundays! What’s that? If you have a child with special needs, this day is catered to making them feel comfortable while getting their hair cut. To me, this just shows the type of business they are. They not only care about providing amazing services to women, but also to their children. If you have any questions about Sensory Sundays or want to attend, reach out to Glow Studios. They would love to fill you in on what they provide and also answer any questions you might have!